Dear Parents and Guardians,
Happy New Year and welcome to semester 2. It was wonderful to see students arrive on Monday and settle back enthusiastically to classes.
They noticed a few changes in facilities and may have mentioned them to you at home. As per usual during an extended break renovation projects have been completed. These include:
- Installation of shading over the field. Here
- “Thatched roof over the Primary play ”house”. Here
- Lunchtime bag storage area. Here
- Positioning of CCTV security cameras throughout the school.
A new electronic/digital security access control system has been installed at the gates. This will be trialed during the coming weeks with a phased rollout during the semester. The Admissions Team will be contacting parents directly regarding the rollout timing, as well as any photograph and information requirements. Please contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns you may have about this new security system.
The new building is now a prominent feature, replacing Villa 7. Internal designs are being finalized for Science Laboratories, Design Thinking/Innovation Centre and Classrooms. The internal fit-out is planned for May/June and we hope to have the new facilities available from August.
Inquiry Based Learning
Tania Lattanzio, an experienced international educator and consultant, is in the school this week providing workshops and working with teachers on the topic on inquiry based learning in an IB classroom. She works in conducting professional development for teachers and leadership; modelling pedagogy in classrooms, developing and designing conceptual curriculum for schools and through mentoring and coaching, to improve planning, teaching and assessment.
She also presented a workshop for parents on “Concepts and Inquiry”; how students develop the skills, benefit from inquiry based learning and how parents can be involved and support at home.
Focus on Learning
During the second semester we will continue to focus on the three main schoolwide goals for this school year with a view for planning for continued improvement into next school year.
- Developing curriculum and instruction for ELL students – e.g. introduction of Cambridge Global English
- Developing curriculum for mother tongue and other languages – i.e. review of Languages Policy
- Developing assessment for learning and use of data to inform teaching and learning e.g. – review of standards and grade level outcomes and implementation of GL Assessments.
School Calendar 2020/21
The school calendar for school year 2020/21 has been finalized. Please see attached.
All the very best,
Head of School